Username:
Password:
Click Here To Open Account
Click here for forgotten passwords
Australia's Best Form Guide
From as low as $2.20 per meeting
By Credit Card or Order Form

See Australia's Best Form Guide
How to read Premium Form

We appreciate your feedback



Site Managed by
France next for Caravaggio with Sydney still an option

A Group I sprint in France is being mooted as the next start for Caravaggio with a trip to Australia for The Everest still a possibility.

Caravaggio winning the Commonwealth Cup at Royal Ascot. Photo: Coolmore

The Aidan O'Brien-trained colt lost his unbeaten record when fourth behind Harry Angel in Saturday's Group I July Cup over six furlongs at Newmarket and the trainer is looking abroad for the three-year-old's next race.

O'Brien told the Sporting Life Caravaggio came out of Saturday's race in good order.

"He's good. I thought he ran very well. He ran a good race and we should be praising the winner Harry Angel as well as Clive (Cox), Adam (Kirby) and Sheikh Mohammed," O'Brien said.

"We ran a good race, but the winner was very good on the day.

"It was one of those days, they are only flesh and blood and we'll look forward to him the next day."

O'Brien said part-owner John Magnier had identified a Group I sprint in France as the next race for Caravaggio.

"The lads will obviously decide what's next, but John (Magnier) was just saying that we might have a look at the Maurice de Gheest," O'Brien said.

"He was just saying that to me this morning, but we'll see how he is after a week or 10 days.

"I think the Everest (in Australia) is still on the table. If he went to France that could be very much on still."

The Prix Maurice de Gheest will be run over a straight 1300m at Deauville on August 6 and last year's winner Signs Of Blessing has been touted as a possible contender for a slot in The Everest.

O'Brien suggested the Deauville race would determine future plans for Caravaggio.

"After France, the lads would have to make a decision what they want to do," O'Brien said.

"Whether they want to go to Australia. I imagine if he was going there he would have to have a little break.

"Either that or he'd just keep going on, to York or somewhere. We'll try to get to the next one first and see how we go."

Sportsbet price Caravaggio at $6.50 for The Everest at Randwick on October 14.



Monday, 17 July 2017